Sunday, December 2, 2007

North America and the rest of the world

This may seem like the sterotypical complaint of the Western world who engages the rest of the world but I am now part of that group and therefore I understand what they mean.

Early last week we had a small war in the East of Chad. You can find the details online. Life in Abeche remained relatively normal but it was serious somewhat east of here. I think for the most part civilians lives remained in tact. I thought that someone back home may be concerned about my life and so I went to check my email. Nothing. I decided not to assume that no one cares whether I survive and I checked the Canadian news networks. There I found nothing but George Bush, Iraq, and Dick Cheney's heart problem. If the world ever had a problem it would definitely be that Dick Cheney's heart missed a beat one time last week. Chad was the top of the African BBC news. I had some romantic idea that Canada cared about more than the United States but I have been mistaken.

Enough complaining and ranting! I did start my Arabic class this week which basically consisted of repeat this word after me. We'll see how much I retain. I was also able to play volleyball this week. That was a treat! At one point a chicken ran around but otherwise it was great. For those of you who don't know I am deathly afraid of chickens. I was informed that I would have to get over that fear. But as it stands that fear will remain almost completely in tact as there are remarkably few chickens here. Apparently they don't take the climate here very well.

So this week I will start teaching English. I have realized that the Chadians may be in for a bit of a surprise when they find out my English aint so good! I'm looking forward to the interaction with the locals but could definitely use prayer for that. I hope everyone's start to their holiday season is going well. Good luck to everyone writing their finals right now.

Still feeling the blow of the grey cup loss,
Vanessa

No comments: