Sunday, March 2, 2008

maybe we don't live in the bush

Another week has passed and it went by quickly. I officially finished my English course as I had one straggler finish her exam this week. I am helping teach a beginner level class for the last few weeks I’m in Abeche (3 more!). Then we’re off to N’djamena for 4 weeks until I fly over the big blue ocean to home.

Great excitement came to Abeche on Thursday when the cell phone network was finally turned back on after a month of it being gone because of the war. Even Chadians are attached to their cell phones, maybe more so because not many people have a land line.

A great part of my week was taken up planning for the weekend as we had all the missionary kids come over for Friday to Saturday for a little mini-camp. We being Mirjam and I. We did the story of Queen Esther with our only girl as the Queen herself and much help from the other missionaries who became the King, Mordecai, Haman, and beauty contest contestants. It was a lot of fun and the kids were all sad and very tired when it was all over. It’s hard for me to believe how many weeks I’ve spent at camp on end in the past. Only with God’s strength!

Today, Sunday the 2nd, our household decided to try out the new Chinese restaurant in town. You did read it properly, there is a Chinese restaurant in Abeche. It’s basically a N’sara (foreigner) place though with N’sara prices! It was weird to step into the Western world for 2 hours (the food was slow coming). The food wasn’t exactly Chinese as I’m used to it but it was good. I think I’ll stick to the local restaurant though for the rest of my time here though. The food’s great and cheap and it’s called 4 Etoiles (Four stars) so it must be near the best.

Well, that’s all for this week. It’s getting up to forty degrees now during the days. No such thing as Spring around here, straight from cold to hot season. Talk to you soon, I hope March came in like a lamb.

No comments: