Monday, March 31, 2008

life in the big city

So, I have left Abeche now and am now soaking in the hot and slightly more humid climate of the capital city, N’djamena. We had a great trip down with seeing gazelles and some crazy birds and of course hitting paved road. Pavement had been somewhat of a lost idea to me in the last 5 months. It was also interesting to see a small amount of the damage from the war of a month and a half ago. Outside the city we saw burnt vehicles and the digging of a trench around the city as a result of the rebel activity. We also visited the large market on Sunday where much of it was burnt or destroyed because of the rebels hiding in there. Otherwise there’s not a lot of evidence of the war. Especially since I didn’t know the city before although those who did would say the same.

Since arriving we’ve taken in a bit of city life. Ice cream (twice!), swimming at one of the hotels which is definitely stepping outside of Chad for a few hours, and I found my beloved diet Coke. It’s true I drink much of the aspartame ridden beverage in my homeland and have not seen it since leaving the airport in France. So, you can imagine my excitement when finding it in the grocery store the other day. Yes, I did say grocery store. There’s also one of those here, not a market for buying “packets of salt and sugar.”

As for the next two weeks I will try to not become anxious about going home and continue my job as a teacher. I’m enjoying quiet afternoons of reading and playing with the boys and my own room and bathroom. I’ve never had that in my life- my own bathroom that is. Nights are hot though in our well walled concession. At least the electricity has come back which means fans work, they also help to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

That’s it for this week. I contemplated trying to fool you with a cruel April Fools joke but I was neither witty nor brave enough to do so. Hope you all have a great week.

I’m bringing home an African baby.

1 comment:

Lc said...

Hello from Faial Island - Azores.

Come and meet our beautiful island in the middle of the Atlantic...

http://rotadashortencias.blogspot.com/

Leave me a comment, to keep in touch