Wednesday, April 16, 2008

all my bags are packed...

I'm ready to go! In actual fact as I write this my bags are already at the airport. They take them early here. Take off is in a little less than eleven hours.
This last week was school as usual until last Friday. Eroni had lots of work to do and so only finished his tests yesterday. Isaac got to take a break from the usual and got to write a story, and do some extra time on his spelling and math. Both are very happy to be on holidays now as they will also leave tomorrow for Fiji for a few month break. Besides school we spent some time doing the last shopping, Lavenia and I had our hair braided, we went to the pool, and went to a restaurant I didn't know could exist in Chad! I even got to spend a day at the pool by myself, that was nice. There are a few hotels in town that have pools and so along with my day at the pool I had their buffet lunch- lamb, chicken, roast beef that I didn't have to chew through for half an hour. Nothing brings a smile to a farm girl's face like a good piece of meat.

Now, how to sum up my African experience? When I set off I had goals of gaining international experience, a view into missionary life, and time in general somewhere other than North America. It has been exactly that! Not to mention a look into a country dealing with another country's crisis while working through their own problems. I have met many amazing people and have learned a lot through the process. I am grateful for the time I've had but would be lying if I said I wasn't ridiculously excited about coming home.

Thank you to everyone for your emails and prayers. Emails were so precious to me here where you often feel so disconnected. I guess I'm a child of the 21st century because I'm not sure what I'd do without the internet especially out here where phone calls are expensive and snail mail can be unreliable. Even this morning I received a bunch of emails that brought huge smiles to my face. I'm sorry if people don't get replies to emails they've sent in the last week.

I also know that prayer has made all the difference. Little details have come together that I didn't expect to, my homesickness was basically reserved for days I was really sick, and I had great joy in my work and time with the people that I know only comes from Him. Thank you for reading my blogs too, it's nice to know someone's reading what you write. I'll write one or two more times to give an update on the homecoming which I'm sure will involve much less sweat than my leaving here, the hot season is definitely in full force here. God Bless!

No comments: