Wednesday, April 23, 2008

brrr...

Through shivers and chattering teeth I asked for a train ticket to the suburbs of Paris last Thursday morning. I couldn't believe how cold I was, what kind of Manitoban am I? That was my first thought in entering Europe. Cold!

I then proceeded to take the train into the 'burbs', if you may, where I found myself somewhat stranded. I had been given a phone number to call for someone to pick me up only it seems that French phones don't like my credit card. So, there I was without a phone in a place I didn't know, with 2 gigantic suitcases and a large backpack, and to make matters worse I really had to go to the bathroom (I thought that that information would make my situation sound more desperate). I thought to myself, "All I need is a phone" which seemed like an easy task in France, afterall I was out of Chad by that point. I asked a pizza place for a phone, he wouldn't let me use his business phone and his cell phone had no credit. He did give me instructions to walk to the place I was to stay as I had the address. I started walking uphill with my baggage, quite a humourous sight I can imagine, and quickly decided that was ridiculous. I found another man who also gave me directions to walk and who wouldn't let me use his cell nor business phone. There was a gentleman in his shop who did offer to help me out saying, "Elle va suffrir!" (She will suffer). He went and got his car and I jumped in not thinking twice about getting into a strange man's car. I arrived safely and without cost, he wouldn't let me pay, at my planned destination.

I enjoyed 5 days between Paris and Holland. What a joy it was to see beautiful, green grass and of course colourful tulips in Holland. I had to pull myself out of the shower the first night because I wasn't used to such wonderful, warm water. Then to climb into a bed with springs! Not to mention all the food. Brown bread, cheese, cappucino, chicken, fresh vegetables, cantaloupe, apples...ahh. As you can imagine my welcome back to western life was a warm one. Honestly, seeing the Mona Lisa and Eiffel Tower could not compare with the shower and seeing green grass and water. Rivers, canals, and the ocean are all quite impressive after life in the desert.

I had a wonderful time in Europe especially with my Dutch friend up in Holland but I am happy to say I'm on Canadian soil. Everyone speaks English! I guess you already knew that but it was exciting to not struggle through Arabic or French when I went through the airport in Toronto yesterday. I'm spending a few days in Hamilton at the mission where I started back in October. I'm doing some debriefing; what did you learn? what are you excited about? what did you hate? etc. I'm thoroughly enjoying the high speed internet. It's like candy to a child!

I'm back to Winnipeg in a few days. I'll write my last blog after the weekend. I'm excited to see you all! I keep picturing the Blue Bombers coming down the escalator in the Winnipeg airport after a big win. Maybe it's not as exciting as the Bombers winning the Grey Cup, which they'll do this year, but I can't wait to come down that escalator!

God bless!

1 comment:

hulag said...

Hi there friend! I am a blog reader from the Philippines. I am happy to found your very interesting site. It is really worth visiting.